Lula Elementary School is located in eastern Hall County in the foothills of the Northeast Georgia mountains. It is located within the city limits of Lula, just 12 miles north of Gainesville. It is a division of the Hall County Public School System and functions as a Kindergarten through Fifth grade school.
As early as 1894, the Gainesville Eagle reported a school located in Lula. In 1911, citizens of Lula and its neighbor town of Belton, built a brick facility consisting of eight classrooms and an auditorium. It was named Lee Institute. Prior to conversion to an elementary school, Lula Elementary School building served as the local high school for Lula.
Several renovations have added to the size and appearance of the school. Currently, the facility has 27 classrooms, a library media center, kitchen and cafeteria, gymnasium, specialty rooms for art, music, and special education, a computer lab, and large outdoor playground and learning areas. The outdoor classroom was finished in October 2006.
Construction of a 10 classroom addition that began in March 2006 was completed in time for the 2006-2007 school year. First and second grade relocated to these new classrooms. In addition, construction that began May 22nd on the front of the school is finished. Administrative offices, clinic, and media center were renovated.
Technology continues to increase for student use. In addition to our 28 computer Dell lab, Hall County Schools purchased each classroom a Dell computer. These were installed in December 2004. Our outside network is working and has increased our speed with which we network inside and outside the school. Thanks to our PTO for the purchase of 10 new Dell computers in October 2005. Hall County Technology Department contributed to 10 new computers for classrooms August 2005 and one additional classroom computer to every classroom during the 2005-2006 school year.
Hall County Technology Department purchased an AlphaSmart cart for the 2006-2007 school year. They further provided a LCD projector cart with speakers and DVD/VCR. During the 2007-2008 school year, another LCD projector cart was provided.
For the 2008-2009 school year, Hall County provided a new computer lab with 31 Dell computers and a printer. During the summer of 2008, our former principal (now retired), Dr. Dover was awarded the Elementary Principal of the Year. For this honor, he received a Smart Board and CPS. He donated these items to our school.
During the 2009-2010 school year, a kindergarten teacher was awarded a $8000 Wal-Mart grant. She used $4000 in her classroom and kindergarten. The other $4000 went to the school to use on technology. PTO awarded two technology grants: Mrs. Ausborn and Mrs. Hewell both received Promethean boards with projector for classroom use.